Last week, before going to a friends party, I noticed my gel nails were chipping and even lifting up. I knew I had to take them off before they got ripped off but it was already to late to visit my manicurist (i will not go to anyone else) and i needed a quick fix. So I just remembered what she would do to me and tried it out. It work so I figured I would help all of you out that have this problem and need to fix it really fast.
You will need: Cotton Balls, pure acetone, aluminum foil (big enough to wrap around your fingers), nail file, nail buffer and a cuticle pusher (wood or metal whichever you prefer).
- FILE: I used a coarse nail file to scratch the surface. You don’t have to do this but its better to reduce the amount of time your finger is in acentone. You don’t have to go crazy, just enough so that the acetone can reach the polish.
- SOAK: Tear the cotton ball so you have enough to cover your nail. Soak them in acetone and lay them on the nail. Wrap your foil square around the finger and let it sit. I let mine stay on for about 5-7 minutes after I finished the last one on my first hand. Its better to do one hand at a time so you have mobility in your other hand. Trust me, I tried both at the same time and it was the longest 5-7 min of my life LOL!
- SCRAPE: Start scraping the gel nail off with your cuticle pusher. It should fall right off. If there’s some seems hard to remove, put it back in to soak longer. NOTE: When you take off the foil, don’t unwrap it, just pull it straight forward so it stays in the shape of your finger. That way if you need to soak longer you can easily reapply. It is always better to let it soak than to rip off the gel polish.
- BUFF: Once you’ve removed all the gel color, you’ll most likely see scratches or divits. Just wash your hands and take your buffer and buff that all away.
- POLISH: Once that’s done, go ahead and shape your nails and paint as usual or rock the natural look until you go get them redone.
Soaking your fingers in acetone leaves your hands a little dry. Go ahead and put some cuticle oil or some lotion on your hands. This is currently the best way to take off the gel polish. I hope this helps all of you 🙂