That’s right! I want you to literally feed your nails the nutrients they need to grow faster and stronger. The only thing worse than un-manicured hands are unattractive un-manicured hands! My mom always told me not to judge people by their nail beds, but I just can’t help it!
Follow these steps to keep your fingernails at their full potential:
1. What you eat: eating healthy foods that are rich in protein do good for more than just your body. They help your hair and nails grow stronger and prevent breakage. Try to add foods into your diet including avocados, salmon, and nuts.
2. Pamper them: it may make you feel like a diva, but you deserve it! Use gloves when washing dishes and cleaning up around the house. Cleaning supplies and dish soap break down your nails and make them weaker and prone to breaking. When you type away on any of the many keyboards you use, press with the pads of your fingers instead of the top of your nails. These tips will make your manicures last longer too!
3. Trim often: Some of us have trouble growing our nails so we let them grow in however they please and refuse to trim them. Those uneven edges end up snagging more often and you end up with broken nails that are shorter than they would have been if you just filed them down!
4. Moisturize: it is important to apply oils to your cuticles and nails. If you let them dry out, you’re even more prone to breakage. If you don’t have professional cuticle oil, you can always use some good old EVOO (extra virgin olive oil).
5. Apply a nail hardener: seems like a no brainer, but this clear, simple step is often skipped when manicuring. Lots of nail hardeners double as base or top coats, it is just a matter of preference, and guess what?! They actually work!