Summer is filled with barbeques, beach fun, pool parties and heat – lots and lots of heat. There are plenty of cute outfits and summer dresses that you can wear on these hot, humid days…but you want to have a summer hairstyle that wont stick to your face and neck or get big and frizzy when you sweat. Whatever hairstyle you go for, its always helpful to:
- Wear a leave-in spray with SPF in your hair before going out into the sun.
- Use an after-sun hair masque to help repair any damage.
Following are a few suggestions and how-to’s for summer hairstyles that will stay put and looking good through high temperatures and humidity.
Sleek High Ponytail
- Apply a blow-drying spray like Bio Ionic Thermal-Active Bodifying Blow-Dry Spray ($12.99) to damp hair and blow dry with a round brush.
- Separate hair into four sections and wrap each section in a large hot roller. Allow to cool down. Then, take out rollers and brush through the hair.
- Pick your hair up into a high ponytail and secure it with an elastic band. Hide the band by wrapping a piece of hair from the ponytail around it.
- Smooth a little bit of styling gel over your hair to tame flyaways.
Big, Perfect Hair Bun
- Put a volumizing mousse in damp hair.
- Blow dry hair with your head flipped over for extra volume.
- Pull your hair into a high ponytail and secure with an elastic band.
- Divide ponytail into three sections and tease each one a bit.
- For very thin hair, add hair extensions before picking up into a ponytail.
- One by one, wrap each section around the base of ponytail.
- Secure with bobby pins.
- Apply texturizing mousse like TIGI Catwalk Curlesque Strong Mousse ($9.25) to damp hair and allow hair to air dry.
- Finger comb through your hair to space out.
- Make a side part, and add gel to a wide-toothed comb and run it through the larger side.
- Starting about an inch into the hair partition, separate a section of hair on the crown of your head so that there is no obvious partition going all the way down the side of your head.
- At the front of the larger section of hair, split it into three sections and begin French braiding towards the nape of your neck.
- Once you reach the back of your head, secure that side and braid down the other side of your head.
- Once you finish braiding, pull down the section on the crown of your head and comb it back into one ponytail along with the two braids on each side of the partition. Twist the ponytail into a bun. Spritz on a strong-hold hairspray like TIGI Rockaholic Rocktastic Hardcore Spray Gel, $9.89.
Side-braid or Fishtail
Directions from Hairstyle Trend Alert: The Side-Braid blog post.
- Apply a volumizing mousse such as the Big Sexy Root Pump Plus Volumizing Spray Mousse ($15.99) to damp hair and then blow dry.
- Roll up 2-inch sections of hair in medium-sized Velcro rollers and let it sit for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Begin French braiding your hair, starting behind the left ear towards your right shoulder.
- Use a hair-tie for the bottom of the braid or let it naturally unravel a bit.
- Use bobby pins to fasten any loose ends for a playful finish.
Please comment and tell us which is your favorite!